Christmas Owl Decoration No Sew Tutorial
Upcycle a tea towel with this cute, no sew decoration idea from Miss Daisy Patterns.
To make this sweet little owl decoration for your christmas tree you will need:
- Red Felt (the quanity depends on how many owls you want to make)
- Bondaweb (also known as Wonder Under) Bondaweb is an strong, heat reactive, adhesive web which permanently bonds one fabric to another when ironed. Bondaweb is available in any haberdashery shop or online.
- Narrow cream or red ribbon
- Owl fabric – the material I used in this tutorial came from a Pennys’ tea towel. (Similiar tea towels are available online from Ulster Weavers click here or from Primark click here they are also available in Pennys’ shops across Ireland)
- Cream or red machine sewing thread (Optional if you want to machine sew the border of the decoration)
You will also need:
- Iron and ironing board
- Sewing machine (Optional if you want to machine sew the border of the decoration)
Red Tea towel available from Pennys
- Cut out around the shape of the owl from the tea towel. Leaving extra fabric around the owl image and sealing it with the bondaweb will prevent the fabric from fraying at the edges when you cut closer to the actual shape.
- Place the material onto the bondaweb and cut out the above shape, iron the bondaweb onto the reverse of the material, rough side down. Allow to cool down. The owl image will now have a backing of paper stuck to the material. (Full manufacturer pdf instructions for using Bondaweb click here)
- Cut out close to the outline of the owl leaving a small white border all the way around.
- Place the owl onto the felt and cut out around the shape again, leave a border of appromimately 1/2 cm / 1/4 of an inch, to create a red frame for the fabric owl.
- Peal off the bondaweb backing from the owl fabric and place onto the felt.
- Place in a small length of ribbon, fold in half and sandwich in-between the material and the felt. Iron in place.
- Your finished owls are now ready to hang on your Christmas tree 🙂Sewing optional: You can (only if you want), sew around the border of the owl fabric, just in from the white material border.