Make your own cute Cloud Baby with this free sewing pattern and tutorial.
- Cotton (various colours) The samples were made from 3 fat quarters with loads left over.
- Black cotton embroidery thread/floss
- Small amount of wool felt for the cheeks (pink)
- Polyester craft filling
- Machine thread (white)
- Scissors (paper and material)
- Embroidery needle
- Sewing needle
- Tailor chalk pencil
- Chopstick for turning and stuffing the Cloud Baby
- Sewing Machine
- Printer and paper to print out the pattern
Download and print out the two patterns.
How to Make:
- Cut out the paper pattern pieces with the paper scissors.
- Pin to your chosen material and cut out the amounts printed on each pattern piece. 2 x felt circles for the cheeks, 2 x cotton for the left and right legs & 2 x cotton for the Cloud body. This time using the material scissors.
Note: The legs can either be used as one pattern to make a complete colour leg as in the centre white cloud baby in the image at the top of the page, or can be in two colours as in the Cloud Babies to the left and the right in the same image. Just cut the pattern along the designated line, choose your colours and sew back together, continue as per this tutorial.
- Place one of the white Baby sections over the pattern and trace the face and mouth using the tailor chalk pencil.
- Hand embroider the mouth and nose using 2 strands of the black embroidery thread/floss with the back stitch.
- Using some of the machine thread hand sew the felt cheeks in place again using the back stitch.
- Place the Cloud Baby material right side to right side and machine sew all the way around start at point A marked on the pattern and finishing at point B.
- Snip into any curved areas to allow the Cloud Baby to turn smoothly.
- Place the leg material right side to right side and machine sew all the way around leaving the space at the top open for turning and sewing. Again snip into any curved areas to allow the Cloud Baby legs to turn smoothly.
- Stuff the legs leaving about 1″/2.5cm at the top of the leg unstuffed.
- Pin the legs onto the front section of the Cloud Baby body as in the picture below and machine sew in place.
- Stuff the Cloud Baby body and hand sew closed using either the ladder stitch or the whip stitch.
- Lavender essential oil can be added to the craft filling when the Cloud Baby is being stuffed.
- Cloud baby can be made entirely with felt.
- The pattern can be resized to make small broach sized Cloud Babies or larger to make a cushion.
I do hope you liked this free pattern and will enjoy making it as much as I liked creating it. If you like my free content and would like to see me creating more, please consider buying me a coffee. Thank you for your support!
Click on the stitch graphics below to go to the online tutorial.