Whip Stitch Appliqué Instructions:
- Thread the needle and place a knot at the base of the thread.
- Place the piece to be appliquéd on top of the base fabric.
- Insert the needle up through the base fabric, lined up to the edge of the fabric being appliquéd in place, securing the knot in the back of the fabric.
- Grabbing a piece of the material to be appliquéd on sew down through it and into the base fabric.
- Moving forward a small amount at the back of the fabric, insert the needle back up again through the base fabric lining up as close to the fabric being appliquéd again.
- Repeat this until you reach the end of the piece of fabric you are sewing,
- Back sew over the last stitch on the back of the fabric a couple of times to secure.
- Snip off thread.
I keep my stitches small and relative apart from each other as I like to keep the stitches as invisible as possible. You can also place the stitches close to each other and use a contrasting thread to create a decorative outline to the appliqué.