I made the first one of these needle cases years ago and I still use it today. They are actually quite simple to make and are completely hand sewn.
Needle case cover
- 5 x 7 inch cotton rectangle (127 x 179 mm)
- 5 x 7 inch piece of felt (127 x 179 mm)
- 5 x 7 inch piece of Bondaweb (for fusing together the cotton and the felt) (127 x 179 mm)
- 4 x 6 x 2 (102 x 152 mm) felt rectangles (the felt used in this project is 100% wool)
- Matching or contracting embroidery cotton / floss
- 1 small button
- 3 x 1 inch x 2 pieces of felt
- 3 x 1 inch piece of Bondaweb (76 x 25 mm)
- Embroidery needle with large eye
How to make:
- Using the Bondaweb fuse the cotton and the felt for the cover together.
How to use Bondaweb
- Place the rough side of the Bondaweb down onto the wrong side of the cotton.
- Using a hot, dry iron fuse together.
- Leave aside until it is cool.
- When cooled peel away the paper, leaving the fusible webbing on the cotton.
- Place the felt and the cotton together, wrong side to wrong side and iron, fusing the two pieces together. Leave aside to cool.
- Fold the two smaller sections of felt in half so as you will end up with a finished piece that is 4 x 3 inches (102 x 76 mm), iron flat.
- Fold the cover in half and iron.
- Insert the pages inside the cover to check the fit. Leave aside.
- Fuse the smaller pieces of felt together as detailed above.
- With you embroidery needle (large eye) because you will be using the whole 6 threads of the embroidery thread / floss and not separating them out.
- Work the blanket stitch around the whole circumference of the needle case cover.
- Re-insert the folded pages into the needle case and work the blanket stitch through all of the layers along the spine of the needle case.
- Blanket stitch along the edges of the strap, position in the middle of the back of the needle case and again blanket stitch in place.
- Check for the position of the button and sew in place.
- Finally cut a small slit in the strap to create a buttonhole, there is no need to do a blanket stitch, as the fused felt will be strong enough to hold together.
The needle case is now ready to use.
This needle case with matching owl pin cushion is available to purchase online here.