This project would make a great Valentine’s gift. It is all hand sewn, alongside being practical, functional and very darn cute.
- Cotton material in any colour of your choosing (fat quarter)
- Felt in a colour to compliment the material (see pattern for quantities)
- Complimentary colour embroidery thread / floss
- Bondaweb (see pattern for quantities)
- A5 notebook
- Paper & material scissors
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting mat
- Sewing needle
- Iron & ironing board
- Permanent marker
- Pattern Notebook cover template 1 Notebook cover template 2 Download the patterns and print on an A4 sheet at 100%
How to make:
- Download and print out the patterns as specified above.
- Starting with the main body of the notebook pattern, place this pattern on the fold of the material and cut out.
- Following this cut out all the pattern pieces as specified by quantity and materials.
- Cut the large pattern on template 1 from the material, felt & Bondaweb
- Cut the smaller pattern section on template 2 from the felt only.
- Cut the smaller bookmark also from the felt.
- The large heart is cut from the felt and the small heart is cut from the material.
- To do this first trace the heart shapes on the pattern onto the paper side of the Bondaweb. Do not draw on the side with the glue texture.
- Cut out the heart shape leaving some space around it.
- Cut out a similar size of material.
- Iron the Bondaweb to the material, sticky side to the reverse side of the material.
- Leave to cool.
- Cut out the heart shape from the fused together Bondaweb and material. (Make sure to use your paper scissor for this).
- Remove the Bondaweb paper off the back of the heart and place sticky side down on the bookmark section of felt.
- Iron in place.
- Repeat the above process for the large heart
- Thread the sewing needle with three strands of the complimentary colour embroidery thread / floss.
- Using the blanket stitch sew around the large and small hearts.
- Click here for blanket stitch tutorial
- Once the hearts have been sewn in place, fuse the felt of the main notebook cover to the material, using the Bondaweb.
- Once fused leave to cool, if there are any loose threads from the material at the stage, remove with the rotary cutter and ruler.
- Face the inside of the notebook cover towards you and position the two felt flap rectangles at either end of the cover, pin in place. (See image below)
- Place the book mark close to the flap at the back of the cover. (See image below) The heart appliqué is on the front section of the cover.
- Using the blanket stitch sew all the way around the outside, making sure to catch the bookmark and the internal flaps as you work your way around. Do not sew the bottom of the bookmark in place.
- The cover will look like this when you are finished.
- Slip the A5 notebook into the flaps.
- Make sure the bookmark is placed toward the front pages of the notebook.
- Close the notebook and press the cover flat.
- The covered notebook is now ready to be either used or given as a gift.
I do hope you liked this free pattern and will enjoy making it as much as I liked creating it. If you like my free content and would like to see me creating more, please consider buying me a coffee. Thank you for your support!